[OSM-talk] Path vs footway vs cycleway vs...

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Nov 29 00:33:13 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a couple of thoughts:
>
> 1) Re: connecting paths across small grass areas - don't mark a path
> where there isn't one, and especially don't do it for the purpose of
> trying to make routers work better. Map reality - that will always
> work best in the long term. (just my personal preference)

When is there a path and when is there not a path?  I walk through an
area of grass every time I go to the park near my house.  Isn't that a
"path" which is part of "reality"?

> 3) Re: what does <TAG> really mean? - rather than everyone giving
> their personal opinion on e.g. what highway=path means, for new users
> I would strongly recommend reading the wiki carefully and using that.

"A generic path, either multi-use, or unspecified usage."

Umm, okay.  I take that to mean anything course of travel that isn't
covered by one of the other highway tags.