[OSM-talk] Mapping everything as areas

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Nov 29 22:07:50 GMT 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>>
>> Without good editor support, mapping highways as areas is already
>> quite cumbersome.
>
> It's not so bad, for areas with good aerial imagery (I wouldn't call
> tracing "cumbersome"). And yes, not everywhere has good aerial
> imagery, but then again not everyone will be mapping areas :)

What's "good"?  I tried it at z19, and it looked terrible, until I
figured out the "parallel way" trick.

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 3:03 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wonder how much work it would be if you could draw the way and then
>> stretch it sideways to fill out the extact area you wanted covered and
>> then the editor simply attaches the width of the way as a tag etc.
>
> Nice idea, BUT then you are limited to a series of rectangles.

You can do curves that way.  It's effectively the same algorithm as
the "parallel way" in Potlatch, except you wouldn't have to connect
the two ways together manually.

The calculus of how we get two ways with different lengths to be
"parallel" is eluding me, but whatever that algorithm is, that's the
one that makes sense.

I believe the answer is that technically, the lines aren't really
"parallel".  Is there another term for it?  Does anyone know what I
mean?