[OSM-talk] Path vs footway vs cycleway vs...

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 11:39:17 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>> An area of grass is - to me - not a path. A path, IMHO, is something
>> that exists independently of people walking or not walking on it (i.e.
>> usually you can *see* that it resembles a path).
>
> -1, a path is either planned and constructed (the ones you are refering to)
> or it "creates itself" by frequent use (e.g. shortcuts on grass). IMHO the
> latter are even more valueable to the project because they are usable but
> you don't find them in other maps.

A shortcut through grass that you can see, sure! e.g.
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/18/97/189701_92c9a5d5.jpg

But if you can't see it - sorry - you're not going to convince me that
there is a path.

If you can see some grass, sure, map that. But just being able to walk
on the grass does not turn the grass into a path. Otherwise, in any
area of grass there would actually be *infinite* overlapping,
criss-crossing "invisible-paths". :P