[OSM-talk] How to tag properties

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 14:18:20 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> Steve Bennett <stevagewp <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> >1) After tagging a building, I want to define the property boundary
> >that the building sits in. In some cases, there's a landuse tag
> >(landuse=commercial, residential), but how to tag a non-profit bowling
> >club, a school, ...? Do you simply tag it amenity=school?
>
> I think so, and then tag the buildings within that area.  The school
> includes
> the playground, it is not just the building.

Ah yep, I eventually came to this conclusion myself.

> >2) Sometimes there is one occupied block in the middle of large areas
> >of nothingness. I want to tag the block to show that there is
> >something there - ie, it's not unmapped.
>
> I don't quite understand what you mean; if there is 'something' then why
> not
> just map that something?

Heh, because I don't know what it is! It's often hard to tell the difference
between a large rural property, a farm, or even some kind of light industry.
Maybe I can see buildings and sheds, but that's all I know. Your "area=yes"
suggestion is interesting.

Slightly related note, is it ok to use tags like "landuse=residential" at
vastly different levels of granularity. Ie, it could be a house, a block, or
what I've been doing at the moment, whole suburbs. I'm trying to sketch out
the western edges of the urban sprawl of Melbourne. At the very least, it
gives a guide as to which suburbs are remaining to be mapped - looking at
the map gives a false impression as to the level of completeness, because
unmapped shows the same as unoccupied.

Steve