[OSM-talk] How to tag properties

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Mon Nov 30 16:26:31 GMT 2009

Steve Bennett <stevagewp <at> gmail.com> writes:

>>I don't quite understand what you mean; if there is 'something' then why not
>>just map that something?
>
>Heh, because I don't know what it is! It's often hard to tell the difference
>between a large rural property, a farm, or even some kind of light industry.
>Maybe I can see buildings and sheds, but that's all I know.

I would say map whatever you can see, that is, the buildings and sheds.
Sometimes one can see areas on the ground which aren't a building, but it
isn't clear whether they are fields or something else.  I would say in those
cases just leave them unmapped, since they will require a survey anyway.
But if you feel the need to mark the boundary somehow, area=yes might do it.

>Slightly related note, is it ok to use tags like "landuse=residential" at
>vastly different levels of granularity. Ie, it could be a house, a block, or
>what I've been doing at the moment, whole suburbs.

A house would be building=yes or perhaps building=house.  But for a block or a
larger area, yes, tagging the landuse is fine.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>