[OSM-talk] Path vs footway vs cycleway vs...

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 23:42:43 GMT 2009

Various comments:

I'm not sure that those roads (Hume Highway) should be marked as motorway,
> but
> got no comment on the talk-au list when i asked for comments.

The Hume *Freeway* is definitely a motorway. There are places between
Melbourne and Sydney where it's just a highway, but it's dual carriage
almost the whole way through Victoria. The Western Freeway also allows
bikes. (And for anyone who hasn't tried it, riding on a motorway has some
serious slipstreaming benefits!)

>This is one area where national defaults won't help - you'd have to get
down to local rules.

I've referred to "Jurisdictions" a few times for this reason. I imagine US
states are possibly even more individual. Would we go as far as
councils/municipalities? Probably not. (Although, as I mentioned somewhere
earlier, the City of Melbourne prohibits bike riding in parks, while other
councils don't. My preferred solution would be tag paths in the former as
footway, and in the latter as cycleway).

>The point I was making was that it should *not* be necessary to
>*require* "a database of all laws of all countries"

This statement is unnecessarily scary. "Database". "All laws". "All
countries". Like I said, think about it. Of course not. The variations are
minor, and represent a tiny proportion of the traffic laws of each country.
And we could certainly have defaults that most countries match.

Remember, the goal here is to have a situation where the most intuitive and
convenient way to tag stuff where people live is as consistent as possible
with the rest of the world. A cultural/legal matrix is the right way to do
that.

Steve