[OSM-talk] Flickr Now Supports OSM Tags

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 1 03:36:25 BST 2009

Chris Hill schrieb:
> Yeah, OK Dave, we've got the message, you don't free-format tags.
> Unfortunately you're going to have to get used to it, because it is the
> basis of the OPENstreetmap and, in my opinion, one of the reasons it is
> as successful as it is.

Successful in what way?

Increasing number or mappers? Yes
Increasing numbers of nodes? Yes
Increasing usefulness of data? Very much depends

To my observation, problems in "central OSM tags" shows very little
development since about a year ago. Repeating "mild flame wars" seem to
show that problems persist.

What you and others simply fail to explain is why the success story from
  three years ago with a fraction of mappers and data must be the best
solution for the situation we have today ...

Responding to anyone with a new approach with "then that's not OSM,
that's not free, get used to it" is in itself not free thinking :-)

Regards, ULFL