[OSM-talk] Clarifying and representing road markings at junctions

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 11:47:25 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> It shows visually which the "main" road is at the junction and is a good
> model of the physical arrangement.

IMHO it does not *explicitly* show the "continuations of roads at the
junction". And even if you do think it works "visually", that is not
sufficient - there are many uses for OSM data.

>> b) it makes a single *way* continue through the intersection.
>
> err, no. If the road has the same name around the corner it can do. If the
> minor but straight on road has the same name it could be a continuous way,
> but I would normally break it at that point, not least so the name of the
> "minor" road is clear. But where ways break is of no significance - you have
> to break ways at all sorts of places because of changes in the environment
> like speed limits, starts of bridges etc.

Ah, so are you saying that, in Martin's attached image, the red way
and the yellow way should/could meet at the junction? If so, then IMHO
it is even *less* clear that, e.g. traveling from the red to the grey
way is a left turn, whereas traveling from the red way to the yellow
way is uninterrupted.....

> I think anyone looking at it would understand the arrangement on the ground,
> and it does model the situation as I see it.

Don't be fooled - people are not the only ones that "look" at OSM data.