[OSM-talk] Flickr Now Supports OSM Tags

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 1 21:10:04 BST 2009

Roy Wallace schrieb:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> What you and others simply fail to explain is why the success story from
>>  three years ago with a fraction of mappers and data must be the best
>> solution for the situation we have today ...
>
> This misses the point. If you think there should be a major change to
> the way OSM is run, the onus is on you to explain why.

Where did I propose a major change?

I was pointing out that the given (and often repeated) argument is not
as good as it first seems.

Lot's of ideas currently floating around: "free form tags", "dictator",
"steering committee", "what I am tagging", ...

I don't know what's best. There are advantages and problems with each of
these ideas. Maybe we'll end up with a mix: "free form tags" in general
(for exploring new tags) and a "steering committee" for tags that are
used more than xy (to stabilize stuff for mappers and consumers). Maybe
we'll end up in a completely different wonderful way to tag things.

However, responding to a new idea with "that's not OSM" (as it was done)
is certainly not good to find the best way of tagging stuff ...

Regards, ULFL