[OSM-talk] Using osm2pgsql can I import into postgres in a projection other than Spherical Mercator (epsg:900913) like wgs84 (epsg:4326)

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Oct 2 09:23:13 BST 2009

John Mitchell <mitchelljj98 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks,For the below information it noted that:
> This will import the data from the OSM file(s) into a PostgreSQL
> database suitable for use by the Mapnik rendererI am assuming
> that this command will also work correctly if my renderer is
> instead geoserver since I already have been using geoserver
> I would prefer to use it instead of Mapnik.

It will work with Geoserver, Mapserver and anything else that can read spatial
data from Postgis including GIS programs uDig, QGis, OpenJUMP etc.  Hard thing
with Geoserver will be to make styling. Mapnik xml looks quite a lot similar to
standard SLD formatting that Geoserver is using, but it is not the same.

It is not necessary to reproject data to the desired Geoserver output while
PostGIS import. Geoserver can reproject data on-the-fly, but rendering will be
at least a bit faster that way.  Tables can also be reprojected inside PostGIS
after import. As an example, these commands put data to Finnish KKJ system.

update osm_point set way=transform(way,2393);
update osm_line set way=transform(way,2393);
update osm_polygon set way=transform(way,2393);
update geometry_columns set srid=2393 where f_table_name='osm_point';
update geometry_columns set srid=2393 where f_table_name='osm_line';
update geometry_columns set srid=2393 where f_table_name='osm_polygon';

-Jukka Rahkonen-