[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Oct 2 09:39:38 BST 2009

Russ Nelson <nelson <at> crynwr.com> writes:

> So, when we have true/false, yes/no, and 0/1, then damnit, we should
> look to SteveC to pick one of them as arbitrarily as if he was picking
> between mountain=green and mountain=blue.  It doesn't really matter
> which is used as long as ONLY ONE is used.  And the same can be said
> for a lot of other tagging decisions.  It could be mountain=green
> or mountain=viridian ... as long as everyone uses them consistently to
> mean the same thing.

You seem to believe that SteveC would make such a decision that makes you happy.
How about if he says that if you want people to continue working with OSM "in
creative, productive, or unexpected ways" then true/false, yes/no, and 0/1 issue
must be tolerated.
If OSM grows up and data will be used for something mission critical or
something that is worth more money if data is relieable, then there will be for
sure an "OSM Professional" fork with supervisors and editors who will tell what
is accepted and what is not. That won't make everybody happy either.  But on the
"OSM Free" mailing list discussion continues about visdom of boolean values like
foot=yes/no/designated.