[OSM-talk] address interpolation

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Oct 2 12:49:19 BST 2009

> 2009/10/2 Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org>:
>> No. The interpolation way has less nodes in it than houses. Thats the whole
>> point of having an interpolation way. Otherwise you'd just use those nodes
>> and tag them with the right house numbers and you are done.
>
> +1. Why not simply use explicit nodes/polygons for every house and
> you're done. Will be more accurate and faster to just do it instead of
> discussing possible/real problems with interpolation (which IMHO still
> is an intermediate step for explicit mapping).

Yahoo coverage is still very sparse. (And I have also never been able to
get it to work since I installed Firefox 3.5).

The surveying cost of collecting house numbers is an order of magnitude
greater than doing streets/pois and doing every house without satellite
coverage is another order of magnitude again as you have to collect
locations for every single house.

We can't really do polygons without satellite coverage.

So while I agree having every house is a desirable solution I think it
will be a very long time before this can be a reality other than in
satellite coverage areas, and even then it will be a much slower process
to relate house numbers to satellite images than to do GPS mapping.

David