[OSM-talk] Overlay showing wikipedia links

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 13:10:28 BST 2009

2009/10/2 Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>:
> andrzej zaborowski <balrogg <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>>http://www.openstreetmap.pl/wp
>
>>* The first picture from every wikipedia page is displayed.  As you
>>will notice, this is not always such a good idea.
>
> Often the first picture is itself a map, and sometimes from OSM!
> It would be better to show the first non-map picture.  That would either
> require Wikipedia to tag their images somehow, or require the script to
> guess which images look more like maps.  There is certainly software which
> can distinguish photographs from line drawings.

One problem is this would have to work in javascript, or be
preprocessed on the server -- in the latter case there are more
interesting things that we can do like use flickr geotagged pictures.

Currently the heuristic is this:

 - ask wikipedia API for 5 first pictures,
 - if there is a picture in those 5 that is a .jpg or .png, use it.
 - otherwise use the first picture.

This is because .svg are usually logos or graphs.  Maybe jpg's should
be preferred over png's because png's are more often computer drawn,
things like maps :)

Another idea is to have a left and right arrow button for next and previous pic.

Cheers