[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Sat Oct 3 04:29:11 BST 2009

On 03/10/2009, at 1:16 PM, Andrew Errington wrote:
> If I am a map maker then I know whether or not the street has a name,
> because I've been there and seen it.  I can look at the map and see
> that
> this street has no name, but I know that it does.  So I will edit
> the data
> to make it right.  This also covers the case where the name is
> wrong, or
> misspelled.

Provided you like somewhere that has all of the streets names, yes.

If you live somewhere that has large swathes of unnamed (or completely
unmapped) streets, then it certainly makes a difference. I could go
drive somewhere to get that street name, but then find out it doesn't
have one. Next week, someone else who lives nearby can go drive there
to check the street name, and find there isn't one.

If we can record the fact it hasn't got one, we could all spend more
time doing areas that aren't mapped properly, rather than re-checking
the same places again.