[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 05:10:45 BST 2009

2009/10/3 Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net>:
> I'm not in favour of a fork - I'm in favour of a consistent schema.
> There are significant regional differences and no means yet to deal with those
> within the multiple flavours of English spoken throughout the world. Spanish
> speakers will have similar troubles adapting translations of different things.
> Motel is an example of a word in use in different places with quite distinct
> meanings.

The bigger issue here is, without consistent tagging people will
eventually end up writing bots to fix something in their country and
destroy the value of data in another country by accident. This has
already happened with ABS data in Australia, someone thought they were
doing the right thing by splitting long ways and moving tags to a
relation, instead this ended up causing other people more work to
revert the changes they've made.