[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 05:59:50 BST 2009

2009/10/3 Apollinaris Schoell <aschoell at gmail.com>:

> On 2 Oct 2009, at 21:06 , John Smith wrote:
>
>> You do if you want a consistent data set.
>
> And what if I don't want?
> There are 1000s of mappers and not everyone thinks like you and agrees with
> you. If you can't accept so much freedom it's your problem not mine or
> theirs.
> there are many things I don't like in osm, but I am free to change it
> because it's free and open or I can learn that others had better ideas and
> accept it.

And so we'll end up with a database not with better map data but with
a completely inconsistent kludge that won't be of any use to anyone
beyond their local area... So people will just keep using commercial
data and not bother with OSM because it's more hassle than it's worth,
in turn no one will bother contributing because they can simply do an
overlay on top of google data so they get a consistent set of map
tiles...