[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sat Oct 3 07:49:19 BST 2009

On 03/10/09 05:16, Andrew Errington wrote:
> If you see a street on the map with no name displayed you might think one
> of two things:
>
> 1) The street has no name (and you might hum a tune by U2)
> 2) The street has a name but it has not been recorded
>
> Either way, it doesn't matter.

It darn well does if you don't want to be the eighteenth mapper to go
and visit it specially to "complete the map" in that area and find out
that it actually doesn't have a name.

Not marking noname roads is a giant waste of resources, because work
gets duplicated.

> If I am a map maker then I know whether or not the street has a name,
> because I've been there and seen it.

There are multiple people working in each area. And no-one has a perfect
memory.

Are you really saying "the memory of all local mappers" is the right
place to store this information?

Gerv