[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - boolean values

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 10:43:47 BST 2009

2009/10/3 Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk at gmail.com>:
> Actually more important question - why people which love mapping (and
> I guess we all do, otherwise we wouldn't be here), are discussing such
> simple things as BOOLEAN values in a midday of the Saturday? (ok, for
> others it is probably very very early morning). I mean, COME ON, it is

Or the evening...

> already governing practice to use "YES", or "NO". No, 0 or 1, or true

However it's not explicitly written anywhere, which is what this is
trying to achieve.

> And yes, tagging needs comittee and needs seperate list. And it needs
> "chain of decision command". Otherwise we spend time hitting dead
> horses and not mapping.

No point flogging a dead horse either :)

> Sorry for a rant, but it seems very strange when people push freedom
> of decision just a sake of freedom of decision. We don't try to push
> our rules of driving on streets. We follow current rules and common
> sense. Maybe let's try to do it also here.

The problem is, there is as many perceptions of the world as there is
people, and we're trying to generate a picture of the world by
incorporating a small subset and to try and accomodate everyone at the
same time and well something needs to be formalised some where.