[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - boolean values

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 15:15:51 BST 2009

2009/10/3 Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>:
> James Livingston wrote:
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/boolean_values
>>
>> How precisely is that going to end the debate?
>>
>> a) Voting isn't the way to do this. It either needs consensus or a
>> dictator.
>
> It will probably demonstrate that there already *is* a consensus to use
> "yes" for this.

true. I agree that we could (IMHO should) agree on one way to tag
"true" and that is already (by majority in tags/presets) "yes" (and
accordingly 0/false should be "no"). But I doubt there is any key that
is just true/false. The examples on the voting page all have different
values as well, some (electrified) even in majority. Furthermore it
won't be possible to change automatically all "1" to yes, as sometimes
this might be the amount "one". There is a difference between
disabled_spaces=yes and disabled_spaces=1 for instance.

cheers,
Martin