[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sat Oct 3 18:24:55 BST 2009

On 03/10/09 09:24, James Livingston wrote:
> Just do what I and a lot of other people have done - give up on the
> wiki being useful, and just go ahead and tag it however you like,
> checking tagwatch and similar to see what other people are actually
> using.

tagwatch tells you what tags people are using, but not what they are
using them _for_. There is insufficient semantic information in the
statement "lots of people are using highway=unclassified" for you to
know what to use it for, or even whether they are all using it for the
same thing.

A set of tags alone is not sufficient to get consistency or convergence.
Explanations are needed.

Gerv