[OSM-talk] TIGER Addressing Import

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 02:29:44 BST 2009

2009/10/3 Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net>:
> On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 02:24 +1000, John Smith wrote:
>> 2009/10/4 Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net>:
>> > Is this the most up to date way of keeping addresses?
>> >
>> >        http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema
>> >
>> > Well, I have some perl code that will parse the 2007/2008 TIGER data
>> > files.  My goal is to get the addresses imported into OSM this time
>> > around.  Here's some ugly sample output of what I have now.
>> >
>> >        http://sr71.net/~dave/osm/tiger/sherman.osm
>> >
>> > I don't need any suggestions on it, I just wanted to show people what I
>> > have so far.
>> >
>> > Issues:
>> > * I currently have the way combination code turned off.  This means that
>> >  OSM ways are represented 1:1 with the TIGER TLIDs.
>> > * Some multi-segment TIGER roads have only a single address range.
>> >  Do we create segments for each road segment and evenly divide the
>> >  addresses?  Or, do we draw a single address segment going from the
>> >  first to last node?

If the way is straight then I'd say there's no point segmenting the
addr:interpolation ways, otherwise yes.

Wrt sherman.osm, I'd omit all the non-standard tags except tiger id so
that the information in those tags can be pulled when needed, because
then there'll be probably be a tagging scheme for it.  These keys you
used aren't even mildly self descriptive unlike most of the tags OSM
uses.

I'd definitely expand abbreviations like St and Hwy, there's no point
doing this manually later.

Cheers