[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Oct 4 05:54:00 BST 2009

Before we get too far, I want to say that I believe that OSM will
NEVER be completely correct or consistent.  Its correctness and
consistency will fluctuate up and down depending on the expectations
of the viewer.

That said, I believe it a mistake to NOT have perfect consistency as a
goal even though that goal cannot be achieved.  If you don't know
where you're going in the long term you'll likely go in circles in the
short term.  Like this discussion.

Matt Amos writes:
 > On 10/3/09, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:

 > you seem to be advocating for a tag with the sole purpose of not
 > rendering something in a single renderer.  to me, that seems wrong.

No, that's not the sole purpose.  See my reply to Andrew which you
should have already received.

 > let me put it a different way: maybe convergence hasn't happened
 > *yet*.

That argument is not falsifiable; it is no argument at all.

 > note that i didn't say "forced" this time, but i do get the impression
 > that you're suggesting that people should be told what to do and how
 > to tag.

Yes.  I believe in leadership.  Imagine that.  Google for Servant
Leadership.  Or find out how Quaker meeting's clerks operate.  Same
idea.

 > > The OSM community is hostile to leadership even when that leadership
 > > merely renders advice.  Frederick's advice to create a committee to
 > > provide leadership is not useful advice.
 >
 > maybe the community feels that such leadership advice is not useful
 > advice, just as you feel towards frederik's advice?

Are you agreeing with me that the community is hostile to leadership?

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog