[OSM-talk] RR8 - Possible International Vandal (assistance required in various countries)

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 17:30:36 BST 2009

2009/10/4 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:

> If it is a genuine concern about being abused for making mistakes the
> people abusing people should be dealt with there is no reason for it,

I'm not sure if you followed the original incident. This was not a
case of an inexperienced mapper making some mistakes while trying to
map reality. This is a user who appears to have used the tools in an
accomplished way to map a fantasy road network in several different
countries, ignoring all contact received from other mappers.

And no, I didn't abuse him for it, tempted though I was.

Incidentally, even though I'm still smarting from this guy's idiocy, I
do think it would be good for us to have a play area allowing people
to edit and render what-if maps. Our tools are well-suited to this and
it's a community of users who may also be prepared to do real mapping.

Dermot