[OSM-talk] Tagging schema

Joseph Booker joe at neoturbine.net
Mon Oct 5 01:23:07 BST 2009

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:02:05 +1100
Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Joseph Booker wrote:
> >  Not sure if you are trolling or just
> > not aware of the wiki, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and
> > assume the latter.
>
> I wouldn't say that this guy is trolling at all, but has put a lot of
> thought into his mail.
> I don't find your quick answers helpful to myself, who is interested
> to see a way forward from these discussions, not sideways or
> backwards.

Figured a sideways look would help for perspective. Just wanted to make
clear that there is an accepted schema, which may not be as strictly
enforced as the original poster would like but matches most of his
thoughts.

The similarity of his ideas with the way things are currently run
(excluding the "classes" of tags based on what kind of values they
accept) with the obvious desire for controlling clients is what made me
think this was trollish, but like I said, I'm just going to assume he
was unaware of the wiki and the procedures done there to formalize the
tags in the database.

Egil, sorry if I came off as rude. I just think your email not
accounting for the wiki serving (maybe ineffectively, that is another
discussion) the purpose of your strict "tagging" mail group reflects
some misunderstandings. If I am wrong, please let me know and I would
be happy to offer comments on your proposal itself.

--
Joseph Booker