[OSM-talk] Flickr Now Supports OSM Tags

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 10:22:04 BST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
> Dave Stubbs wrote:

>>> Will v2.0 disallow user input altogether & be completely based on 'click
>>> to select' presets?
>>>

>> Not a chance in hell.
>>
>> Click "Advanced" at the bottom of the tags section. Oh yes, raw tag
>> entry FTW! for when you damn well know the editor is wrong.
>> Plus the "presets" (they're not really presets now, but property
>> editors) are completely configurable[1], and (once I put the pref box
>> in) swappable at run time.
>> Oh, and the oneway preset i currently have happily recognises
>> 1=true=yes/0=false=no/reverse=-1. It's only when you set it that it
>> will standardise to yes/no/-1.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> [1] http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/editors/potlatch2/resources/map_features.xml
>>

> Hi
>
> 1. Would putting a flag on the raw tag be useful, allowing them to be
> easily verified so they conform to the wiki set of tags?

No

> 2. When it's rolled out will there be an XML file per editor, which is
> stored on their computer or one for everybody?

XML is loaded at runtime. The default will be up to the editor
deployer (the editor authorises with OAuth so it does not need to be
hosted on OSM itself -- we could for instance host a cycle feature
orientated version on opencyclemap.org).
It would also be pretty easy to add a user preference to use different
XML hosted on any website anywhere, though I would not expect most
users to take advantage of this.

> 3. Could you explain what a property editor is compared to a preset?

Preset kind of implies input only to me. ie: a "Make this a post box"
button. A post box has certain other properties and the editor has a
dialog box for you to put them in. So you end up with a "Post Box
Panel" that the user has to invoke to create or edit post boxes. This
is a secondary system to facilitate entering tags.

The difference here is that we're trying to make tags the back end
stuff that nobody really cares about. Post boxes have certain
properties which the XML tells the editor about -- the editor then
provides input boxes to the user for these properties. The XML also
tells the editor how to recognise a post box so the user never has to
do anything special. The user can then view/edit the encoded tags if
they want in the same way firefox has a "View Source" option.

So from a technical point of view there's very little difference
really -- it's just presentation and UI focus.

Dave