[OSM-talk] Landuse areas etc. abutting highways

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Oct 5 14:31:33 BST 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 6:18 AM, "Marc Schütz" <schuetzm at gmx.net> wrote:

> For a road, we can either choose to map it as a linear object (this is the
> common case), or we can map its geometry more exactly by using an area. In
> both cases, however, the object in our database represents the entire road
> (i.e. not only the middle line). Because in reality, there is no gap between
> the road and the areas next to it, there shouldn't be one in the database
> either.

1) That's not always true.  There is often a gap between "the road" and the
areas next to it.  In fact, I can't think of a single road which doesn't
have at least some gap (say, a curb) between "the road" and the other area
(though I'm sure someone can come up with a counterexample).

2) If you have two buildings which are directly next to each other and
touching, and you represent them as points in order to map the address
information, should you use only one point, since they're touching?

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:39 AM, MP <singularita at gmail.com> wrote:

> With proper micro-mapping, even the street between could be mapped as
> an area, but that could be perhaps a bit too much of detail.

I don't know about the "street", but I don't think it's too much to map the
right of way as a boundary relation.  This would be *in addition* to mapping
the ways, as it is something that currently isn't being mapped but would
provide useful information if it were.