[OSM-talk] Landuse areas etc. abutting highways

"Marc Schütz" schuetzm at gmx.net
Mon Oct 5 14:59:03 BST 2009

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:28:54 +0200
> Von: Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> An: "Marc Schütz" <schuetzm at gmx.net>
> CC: MP <singularita at gmail.com>, talk at openstreetmap.org
> Betreff: Re: [OSM-talk] Landuse areas etc. abutting highways

> 2009/10/5 "Marc Schütz" <schuetzm at gmx.net>:
> >> But a) could be used as acceptable temporary solution until someone
> >> with better information (like having aerial photography) remaps it as
> >> b)
> >
> > Yes, this is basically what I wanted to say. Leave it to the mappers
> whether they want to use a way or an area for a road.
>
> it will be much harder to add this detail, if all areas are merged though.

Not really. JOSM supports disconnecting ways since a long time now. But anyway: doing things wrong just to make editing easier is not a good thing.

> > But with option (b) and a linear way you would have a gap next to the
> road. In the case of landuse, this is not a problem in practice, but if there
> is a place, there you need to insert artificial ways that are not there in
> reality, just to get the connectivity between the two objects:
> > http://osm.org/go/0JUKytHID--
>
> which objects are you referring to? parkings usually have those ways
> (for crossing the sidewalk) so they won't be artificial, and
> pedestrian areas are the exception I mentioned above.

Look at the google sat image:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=bayreuth&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=59.856937,107.138672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bayreuth,+Bayern,+Deutschland&ll=49.946316,11.577148&spn=0.000754,0.001635&t=k&z=20

As you can see, there are no ways between the road and the plaza on the left side. But there are in the database (e.g. the one at the end of Alexanderstraße). This is an ugly hack to reenable routing, which was broken by letting the plaza end before the street.

(And I don't even want to start about the situation on the other side of the road.)

Mapping it the way it is done there does not really make sense: Either the exact geometry is important for you, then you should convert both the plaza and the road to areas. Or it isn't, but then there shouldn't be a problem with extending the plaza so that it borders to the road.