[OSM-talk] Landuse areas etc. abutting highways

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 11:49:02 BST 2009

Thanks to those who responded to this thread. Advice gratefully received.

There seems to be a clear majority preference for option (b) - the more detailed approach that avoids superimposing boundaries of areas (and their nodes) on an adjacent way (and its nodes). I fully understand the two caveats:

1. It is only worth being precise if there is precise data available.
2. There are a few exceptions where, for example, the character of the adjacent area has access features more like that of a normal linear way - the pedestrian area is a good example.

I am persuaded that the advantages of forward compatibility and a higher standard of mapping justify my small efforts (where I have good GPS data) in separating out superimposed areas/ways and using option (b). I am particularly pleased to receive support for splitting single large landuse areas (e.g. =residential or =farm) that cross large numbers of ways.

It is a minor irritant and I didn't want to do the work - or mess with other people's mapping - without a bit of a 'reality check' with more experienced folk in the community.

Thanks again

Mike Harris