[OSM-talk] Landuse areas etc. abutting highways

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Oct 6 15:25:19 BST 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/10/7 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> > Most sidewalks pretty much meet that criterion, and roads sort of meet it
> > (not at intersections, though).
>
> There is a landuse area around roads that isn't part of surrounding
> property boundaries.

I'm quite aware of that, and that's why I think there should be a
landuse=right_of_way, completely separate from the "highway".

I wonder, how do others define "highway", if not as "a path of travel"?  It
contains such things as roads, sidewalks, and dirt paths, and presumably
also includes paths of travel which are completely unbuilt (the unpaved
grass on the side of the road gets a "highway" tag, right?)."