[OSM-talk] Landuse areas etc. abutting highways

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Oct 6 17:35:14 BST 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> The only way I can see doing that is when the "landuse" area is *also* a
> "highway" area.

And then, only if you're sure that's what you want to do.  If you have two
pedestrian areas separated by a highway, and you use the highway as a shared
border between them, you're telling routers that pedestrians are allowed to
cross the road at any section (not only at crosswalks).  If that's what you
want to say, fine.  If not, then you need the gap.

It seems like something more useful for bicycle ways than pedestrian ways.
But I'm sure there's a counterexample to that, just like everything else.