[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:19:08 BST 2009

2009/10/7 Gervase Markham <gerv-gmane at gerv.net>:
> On 06/10/09 05:37, John Smith wrote:
>> It sounds like he made it to see which roads needed surveying to
>> acquire their name, however I'm still confused why people use
>> noname=yes when the street does have a name but not a street sign, as
>> I posted before there is actually a few streets near here on the golf
>> course which really aren't named, the buildings a just unit numbers.
>
> If you know the street has a name but there's no sign, remove the noname
> tag and put the name in :-)

My point was to distinguish streets with no name, verses streets with
no sign, due to slack councils or vandelism or what not.

> That seems like a fairly European-city-centric view to me. There are
> loads of unnamed roads across rural England, across Europe, and in other
> countries around the world. And not all of them are such because their
> sign has been vandalised.

I have no idea about Europe/England to be honest, never been in any
European countries. Also euro-centric views tend to clash on occasion
with Australian views.

Most roads in Australia tend to be named, even some basic concrete
slab colvets that aren't even real bridges get named.