[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Oct 6 23:15:35 BST 2009

Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 06/10/09 15:18, Dave Stubbs wrote:
>
>> a) what are you actually marking?
>>   - no name in OSM -- we know that already
>>   - the mapper didn't find a name -- so we shouldn't check again?
>>

> Probably not, no. Just as when a mapper adds a postbox, someone else
> doesn't think "he's added a postbox. I should go and check that there's
> actually a postbox there".
Yes! We should!!
I've seen postboxes, shops, pubs & restaurants placed on the wrong road
let a lone in the incorrect place on the right road!
I don't even trust my own mapping (especially my GPS recording) & would
welcome people checking my data.
I'm gob-smacked by an attitude I've seen in OSM of believing blindly
that the first & only trace of a route is automatically spot on!!

This laissez faire attitude to accuracy within OSM astounds me.

The more uploaded GPX traces/checks of a route the better. Surely?