[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Wed Oct 7 22:38:44 BST 2009

On 06/10/09 19:15, DavidD wrote:
> If you have 10 people in the same area chasing an unnamed road then a
> noname tag isn't going to solve the actual problem. A road in OSM that
> has been surveyed by a single person is tagged identically to a road
> that has a dozen gps tracks and has been checked by several people.

True. But at the moment, a road with no name which has been surveyed by
no people (e.g. traced from aerial imagery) is tagged the same as one
which has been surveyed by one person.

I agree there is a certain difference between being surveyed by 1 person
and being surveyed by 10 people. But there's a much larger difference
between being surveyed by 0 people and surveyed by 1 person.

You seem to be advocating using no-name roads as some sort of bait to
lure mappers into the area so they'll check other nearby work in
passing, while finding out for the 9th time that the road actually does
have no name :-)

Gerv