[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Oct 8 14:02:55 BST 2009

Dave F. wrote:
> Do you know where are the Motorway Ends signs are located in you examples?
> OS define the links as M*  classification, but Google shows them as A* &
> B*.
> http://osm.org/go/evhVzyiB
> http://osm.org/go/euwqKRNL

On the M50 (I was originally thinking about j3, which is our regular route
from Charlbury to South Wales, but I guess it applies to j1 too) the whole
slip-road is definitely under motorway regulation and signed as such. The
highway design principle is that if a road leads inexorably to a motorway,
it must itself be a motorway - otherwise non-motorway traffic will find
itself stuck with nowhere to go. So Google is wrong, surprise surprise.

I don't know the A601(M) that well - I've only been there once. But
http://www.pathetic.org.uk/current/a601m/ is pretty clear that it's all
motorway, too.

> I interpret the the Magic Roundabout as separate lanes as there are
> central reservations. Which, I believe, is how you mapped it (?)
> http://osm.org/go/eumbs5che--

Yep, absolutely. Hemel Hempstead would have been a better example.

cheers
Richard