[OSM-talk] Instead of voting

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 08:21:58 BST 2009

2009/10/9 Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com>:

> The benefit is that people spend more time mapping and less time
> coordinating with each other on things that don't need to be
> coordinated in advance.

And the disadvantage is that by saving a little time on the lack of
coordinating at the start, we then end up spending a huge amount of
time arguing over whether we should be using yes, true or 1 later  ;)

Seriously, though, you have a point.  Most of the voting is simply a
process, with no real benefit.

However, I have seen proposals which have improved considerably after
a little bit of feedback during the voting process. I think the
discussion can be valuable, even if the voting itself isn't. It's not
required for every new tag value, but I think we need an extra step in
there somewhere that talks about what to do if you want some feedback
on a new idea, or just need help finding the right English word for a
tag value.

Stephen