[OSM-talk] mapnik shelter rendering

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Oct 11 17:02:13 BST 2009

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> -1
> I think they are quite important,(they are currently not rendered with
> name at that level, and the small icon is IMHO not "cluttering"). But
> this discussion is endless...
> Actually they are now rendered in this level due to a trac-ticket of
> someone mapping in the alps, where they can be crucial to survival in
> bad weather conditions and are less dense.

Martin

I think you maybe confusing
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Shelter
with
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Alpine_Hut

I see a shelter as an place to shelter from a rain shower when a Sunday
stroll through your local park rather than a full scale survival cell.

Also, you need to remember the "small" icon is only in the render you
are looking at. On a GPS unit, for example, it could obliterate surround
information.

Cheers
Dave F.