[OSM-talk] mapnik shelter rendering

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Tue Oct 13 12:15:38 BST 2009

On 13 Oct 2009, at 12:04, Claudius wrote:

> True. In german we say "Schutzhütte" (losely translates as "protection
> hut") and the german wikipedia article shows good examples in
> pictures:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzhütte (ignore the one in the lower
> right corner). These "shelters" are only used as a protection from bad
> weather. You won't voluntarily spend a night there and they won't have
> any facilities or even power supply.
>
> Don't you call these "shelter" in English?

A shelter is a really wide ranging thing, from a shelter at a bus stop
so that you don't get so wet when it is raining while waiting for the
bus, through to what you are stating. How do you tag the differences?

For a bus stop there is highway=bus_stop; shelter=yes.
What about a railway station, well halt? There are some smaller
stations that have a shelter that is a similar style to a bus stop
shelter. How should those be tagged when you want to state the
location of it along the length of the railway=platform?

Shaun