[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (man_made=mineshaft)

Lesi lesi at lesi.is-a-geek.net
Tue Oct 20 14:39:11 BST 2009

> There is probably a good reason only tourist attractions are mapped
> because you wouldn't be allowed to go near one unless you worked
> there, there is a mine shaft on the other side of town but I wouldn't
> get anywhere near it.

I know mineshaft you can get very close to (2-3m). With your argument half
of the features of OSM should not be mapped e.g. historic=wreck or streets
within the ground of a factory. And once again: mineshafts which have a
headframe are very good points of reference. Often names of mineshafts are
also used to describe where something is (e.g. somebody could say: "You will
not know the street, but it's near the Foobar Mineshaft."). Mineshafts and
mines are also mapped on many commercial maps.