[OSM-talk] Vanuatu

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Oct 21 04:29:19 BST 2009

Hi all,

I received some GPS traces from someone in Vanuatu.  He had had them for
some time, but didn't have the opportunity to slice them up and upload
them.  I took the data and used gpsbabel to split the entire GPS log into
daily chunks which coincided with manageable trip segments.

I checked the tracks in JOSM to make sure they were not duplicates of
existing information, then uploaded them.  My intention was to assist in
mapping Vanuatu by tracing the GPS tracks and uploading new ways as
highway=road for others with local knowledge to fix.

Unfortunately I have had very little time to do this, but more to the
point, I felt a little uncomfortable when I added some roads, since I am
not local, and I don't know the terrain at all.

The point of this message is to announce that I *have* uploaded the GPS
traces, and to ask/encourage people who are familir with Vanuatu to look
at them and use them to map more roads.

Best wishes,

Andrew