[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC -(man_made=mineshaft)

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Wed Oct 21 05:02:53 BST 2009

2009/10/21 Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com>

> Anthony schrieb:
> > Disused canal, fine.  Disused railway, sure.  Disused building, no
> > problem.  Disused quarry, yes.
> >
> > But disused cafe?  A cafe is a building, or part of a building, which
> > is *used* as a cafe.  The use is part of the definition.
>
> Well, yes and no.
>
> People might remember that there once was a cafe. They might call the
> building "the cafe" even if its no longer a cafe "in use".
>
> So this is what the mapper *may* wanted to express. While I don't think
> the combination is well done, it but could well have its reasons.
>

> However,
>
> This obviously doesn't work pretty well in the 4th dimension, if you
> want to tag: this once was a cafe, before that a pub, before a bakery
> and before that a police_station.
>

> Another even simpler problem, if a node is tagged:
>
> shop=bakery
> amenity=police_station
> disused=yes
>
> disused refers to shop or amenity now?

Yes But,

If a Pub is tagged

amenity=pub
disused=yes

The thing looks like a put (ie large pub like lables) hence
works relatively well as a land mark, it just happens to be closed and does
not sell Beer anymore. Its still useful if its a landmark. same as a disused
mine shaft is.

Once it gets knocked down, or reused, or as something else then the tags
need changing.

Peter