[OSM-talk] differences in how OpenCycleMap renders bicycle parking

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Fri Oct 23 16:29:16 BST 2009

Dave F. wrote:
> Could it be possible to change the render a the highest detail level or
> two, to display the C+number. In the example you give it they would
> certainly fit.

Dave,

This isn't aimed at you specifically, but you've raised a common point
which needs clarifying.

OpenCycleMap is a project by two members of the OSM community
(gravitystorm and randomjunk). It's great that people like it and find
it useful, and it's a fantastic example of what you can do with OSM
besides producing a general purpose map with everything on it.

However, it doesn't use any OSMF resources -- In essence it's their map.
While I'm sure they're happy to receive suggestions (I've even given
them one myself), they have no obligation to make the map fit anyone's
needs but their own.

Remember that it's done by people in their spare time, using resources
they've begged, borrowed and stolen for themselves. If you think you
have a need for a similar, but different map you're free to make one.
That's what OSM's for, and if you need pointers on how do make your own
map, the community will help, providing you're prepared to help
yourself. But please, please don't expect someone else to change their
own efforts just to suit you.

Jonathan