[OSM-talk] differences in how OpenCycleMap renders bicycle parking

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat Oct 24 13:53:22 BST 2009

Erik Johansson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
>
>> Shaun McDonald wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Edward,
>>>
>>> You need a capacity of at least 20 before it is shown. The reason for
>>> needing a larger number of spaces before it was rendered with a big C
>>> was due to places
>>> like http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=18&lat=51.49685&lon=-0.12529&layers=B000
>>> <http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=18&lat=51.49685&lon=-0.12529&layers=B000>
>>> where it would show lots of blue C's beside each other which wasn't
>>> particularly useful when the cycle parking was mapped in detail.
>>>
>> Hi Shaun
>>
>> Why does it need a minimum number?
>>
>> Could it be possible to change the render a the highest detail level or
>> two, to display the C+number. In the example you give it they would
>> certainly fit.
>>

> Because mapnik can't handle that in a nice fashion,

To clarify, are you talking about just mapnik or all renderings
including open CYCLE map?

> maybe showing
> everything at high zoom level, but even that may clutter the map
> (perhaps?). What we want is for mapnik to handle different amount of
> node/label density without having to resort to shutting of rendering
> this or that label completely.

Again, to clarify, are you saying that the rendering can't change icons
dependent on the zoom factor even though it can turn them on/off?

> I have this problem for the Swedish country side. we have so much land
> and so little mapped things that the UK created mapnik rules used for
> Europe are no good.
>
> Europe at zoom6
> http://osm.org/go/0DxrS--
>
> Northern Scandinavia at zoom6
> http://osm.org/go/01QLb--
>
> The same problem exists in Thailand according to user Buadhai:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Buadhai/diary/8208
Would users really expect to see POI's at such a low resolution such as
cycle parks?
Even in sparse areas I would expect to have to zoom in a bit to see such
detail.

Cheers
Dave F.