[OSM-talk] OSM Map Evolution (make your own "Year Of Edits" video)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 29 07:59:57 GMT 2009

Hi,

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Can you explain how can OSM users then get a history for one city from
> old planet files, that would be really helpful. If this is possible then
> git repository isn't necessary, AFAIK, but I'm not the one who made the
> scripts so maybe there has to be a git repository.
>
> How can I get snapshots month by month for my home town from january 2006
> to present day via old planet files? Is that possible?

You can download *full* planet files from planet.openstreetmap.org and
then use available scripts (from SVN) to extract your home town from each.

A git repository, unless git has some magic properties that I am not
aware of, does not change the fact that you have to extract the data
from old planet files.

Bye
Frederik