[OSM-talk] Illegal activity

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:05:40 GMT 2009

2009/10/29 Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>:
> look, a few days back someone (I think it was Richard Fairhurst) started a
> campaign asking google to allow us to trace their imagery. A lot of us signed
> up. The answer was a flat 'no'. So there is nothing ambigous about it. Yahoo!
> has said 'yes', google has said 'no'. Fullstop.

That's incorrect it wasn't a flat out no. The answer was much more fuzzy.

Ed Guy was very very clear on 2 things, first and fore most that you
are not allowed to vectorise every single street in your city.

He was also clear on the 2nd thing, that you are allowed to do your
favourite hiking/walking trip and vectorise and mass distribute it, or
even mass distribute points of interest.

There is a line between the 2 that Google will draw the line, but even
Ed wasn't certain exactly where that line is, in part because it's a
grey area no one (not google nor their supplier) wants to deal with
properly.