[OSM-talk] Download Tiles

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 29 18:57:11 GMT 2009

Hi,

bernhard wrote:
> Is there an easy way to download "all" Tiles?
> I'm sure to have all mapnic tiles on my netbook I need some GByte - but
> that's not a big Problem.

<TomH mode>

No, and attempting to download all tiles is a sure way to get your IP
number banned at the server.

</TomH mode>

It is also likely to max out your hard drive, as "all" tiles (for the
whole world at zoom level 17) would require something like 20 terabytes
of storage.

> Is there a zip-file with all tiles somewhere?

To the best of my knowledge, zip files only support 256k files per zip
archive. You would be downloading roughly 75.000 individual zip files of
about 250 MB each.

Bye
Frederik