[OSM-talk] OSM Maps on TomTom

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 17:50:50 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 16:25, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 April 2010 02:18, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think you're underestimating the effort that goes into reverse
>> engineering a format. Many man-years have gone into reverse
>> engineering the Garmin format (and it's still not fully understood),
>> the Microsoft Office format and Flash just to name a few.
>
> I realise it most likely isn't an easy undertaking, perhaps it's not
> worth the effort and a better use of resources might be to
> organise/sell an OSM branded sat nav unit that has wifi and can update
> itself.

I'm sure there's someone on-list with access to a few hundred million
dollars and access to large electronics manufacturing capability
coupled with a global distribution network.

Alternatively we could just continue to produce a free map which
people can install on devices that either aren't completely closed
down or have existing workarounds. Garmin, iPhone, Anderoid and others
come to mind.

>> Getting a completely different stack of programs to work on new
>> hardware might be relatively easy by comparison.
>
> Given my experience of using bleeding edge builds on other hardware
> this won't be used by most people, so while it might be easier for
> devs, it isn't for users.

You'd just have your map installer install a dual-boot system on the
TomTom so they user could pick "TomTom" or "OpenStreetMap" at startup,
see what the Rockbox project has done for portable audio players for
an example.