[OSM-talk] Revert requests in general

Erik Johansson emj at kth.se
Wed Aug 4 08:25:22 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Ben Last wrote:
>> the edits that we're submitting all come from one user
>> (that represents NearMap) since we don't (and can't) require
>> users of our site to all be registered with OSM.
>

> Whenever it has been raised in the past, the opinion of the community has
> generally been that proxy edits like this are strongly discouraged.

You should go ahead with nearmap editing, even if it might become an
anonymous map doodle tool. It's a good thing that we are getting more
anonymous editting tools. It would be nice to beable to at least track
in the same way as wikipedia does (publicly showing IP addresses).

Amenity Editor, the web based anonymous editor, hasn't posed a problem
for me yet, but  the edits come in pretty low volume.

http://ae.osmsurround.org/
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/amenityeditor/edits

/emj