[OSM-talk] Revert requests in general

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Aug 4 10:10:23 BST 2010

Ben,

Ben Last wrote:
>> I'm pretty certain there was some kind of web-based tag editor just before
>> OAuth was finally set up but I cannot find the mailing list references.
>> There wasn't a huge discussion back then - it was clear to everyone that
>> what that editor was doing could be a proof of concept at most because the
>> account would soon be banned otherwise.

> Hmm.  On what grounds would such an account be banned?

I think at the time we assumed that either it would be banned because it
invited unaccounted vandalism, or it would be banned after the first
such vandalism occurred, which was just a question of time.

>> I kind of understand your situation but I think the way forward would be to
>> either use OpenStreetBugs or set up an OpenStreetBugs like system yourself,
>> maybe integrate that in your editor - so that users without an OSM account
>> can only place OSB markers, and those (the slightly more advanced users) who
>> have an OSM account can then pick these up and fix OSM data properly. Maybe
>> you can even do that in a way that lets people "start easy" in your
>> application and then progress if they feel more comfortable with it.

> Interesting idea, but one aim of this whole effort is to increase the
> number of people who can contribute to OSM and help bring it to the
> point where OSM data is a usable way to do geocoding or address-search
> (which it isn't at the moment).  Using OSB doesn't really meet that
> aim.

I was thinking more along the lines of using OSB as an entry drug.

You kind of have a point there with addresses and all; assume you'd just
produce your very own database of house numbers built by your users,
then release that, say, as PD or CC0. It would only be days until
someone in OSM came along and proposed to import your database into OSM,
which would effectively end up the same (all data being contributed
under one user id).

But in that scenario, the importing user would take full responsibility,
and if it turned out that a significant portion of the import was in
some way faulty, the whole import would be rolled back.

> I would
> think that the OSM position would be that it's not worth the *risk* to
> trace without it being clear that the licence allows it

That is indeed generally the OSM position.

> Which is one reason we make it clear that you can derive data from our
> images under CC-BY-SA, to remove that risk.

I'll post something about CC-BY-SA datasources in a separate thread.

Bye
Frederik