[OSM-talk] Revert requests in general

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Aug 4 14:47:06 BST 2010

Andrzej,

>> You kind of have a point there with addresses and all; assume you'd just
>> produce your very own database of house numbers built by your users, then
>> release that, say, as PD or CC0. It would only be days until someone in OSM
>> came along and proposed to import your database into OSM, which would
>> effectively end up the same (all data being contributed under one user id).
>>
>> But in that scenario, the importing user would take full responsibility, and
>> if it turned out that a significant portion of the import was in some way
>> faulty, the whole import would be rolled back.
>
> That's possibly the worst way to handle it

I was just using that as an example which would lead to all data being
under the same account, and in a way that nobody on OSM's side would
complain. I wasn't suggesting they actually do that.

> Note that nearmap.com is taking it pretty seriously about taking
> responsibility.

I was trying to explain that this responsibility might mean that OSM
takes measures - such as reverting all contributions - against a
particular user, even if that one user happens to be a concentration
point for contributions of many human beings.

> Also note that they mentioned in another thread that
> they want to contribute under share-alike licenses (including ODbL) so
> that they can use improvements made to data that they release or that
> is based on the imagery.  The repeated asking for releasing as PD is
> amounting to trolling.

As I said above, that was just a theoretical situation in which someone
else's data would be concentrated under one account. I said "PD or CC0"
in the example as a placeholder for "a license that is guaranteed to be
compatible with anything OSM uses at the time".

Bye
Frederik