[OSM-talk] Languages, OSM, scripts and all that.

Celso González celso at mitago.net
Fri Aug 6 21:48:12 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 04:29:22PM -0400, Paul Houle wrote:
>    I just recently pointed my nooscope at places outside the U.S. and
> was quite amused to see arabic letters in the tile maps around Tunis...
>
> http://ookaboo.com/o/pictures/topic/82500/Tunis
>
>    Looking around a bit more I find Japanese writing w/ Romanized text
> around Tokyo

The name tag is always in the official name of the region being mapped.
But you can add name:LANG tag to get your local name of a distant region,
i think even was one of the Project of the Week recently.

Ok, so we have the data (or we have the option to add proper data) but we
dont have the rendering.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Internationalization
Anyway is easy to setup a tile server using your language.

Best regards

--
Celso González (PerroVerd)
http://mitago.net